dinsdag 3 september 2013

Hello.
My name is Maarten,

This summer I went to Italy. My mother had decided that we should go by airplane. We arrived at Schiphol, that's like some place were all the planes live and stuff. But anyway, we went with Easyjet which was really cheap, that's probably why the call it Easyjet. We went to the seats and my stupid little brother wanted to sit next to the window but I was like no b*tch that's my seat. But my mother told me that my little brother would sit to the window so I had to take the hallway seat. On the plane there was a really sexy waitress and I decided that that was a good omen for my visit to Italy. Then we landed on the airport of Rome and it was really hot so we all hauled the suitcases behind us and it all took great irritating effort. But afterwards i didn't complain anymore because I had a good workout. But the agony wasn't over yet because then we had to rent a car and my mother was constantly walking the wrong way. At last we rented a car and drove on the Italian highway. I had the window open and the wind blew through my hair I was really Born to be Wild then. But the fun was soon over because we had trouble with finding the hotel, so we drove constantly through the town of Passignano until a nice Italian lady showed us the way. When we finally arrived my whole body was stiff and I realized whe had been in the car for over 5 hours. I sat in the pool for the rest of the day. I've been in Italy for 2 weeks so i can't recall what I have done everyday but here are the things I do remember.

The first big city we went to was Florence, or Firenze as the Italians call it. It was a cloudless sunny day, the perfect weather to visit cities. but my little brother thought otherwise and was being a whiny little... But that was probably because we had to get up at 8:30 to get the train to Florence. it was a train ride that lasted about an hour and a half but I slept through most of it. But when I was in Florence i was right awake. So we came from the station and headed right to the Santa Maria Novella, the firtst big building that we saw. The Santa Maria Novella is a really big and beautiful church with rally nice fresco's on the inside. Fresco's are portraits but then painted on the walls and the ceiling and I was really awed by the sight of it because I had never seen fresco's so great or magnificent like in the Santa Maria Novella. Then we went to the Duomo, the really big white church in the middle of the cultural centre of Florence. But when we saw the line to the entrance we decided to get something to eat first. I had really nice chicken and a really big glorious glass of cola. But stubborn as we are, we didn't go in the Duomo yet but we went to Palazzo Vecchio. It looks really nice of the outside and some parts of the inside are also nice. But going inside with my mother is a mistake I still regret today. First you came to a really great hall with huge paintings of battlefields and I was in a very good mood then and expected more paintings like these. But it was far from that. as soon as we got to the first floor began the cultural statues and chairs and benches and lamps and other boring things. More than 2 hours I had to look at beds and dressers and even forks before I got safe outside. Then my mother said that we should go to the Ponto Vecchio. My little brother was already in a bad mood but when he heard my mother say that he burst out in tears. He said we decided all the things we would do and so, tho comfort him, we went to a restaurant where he got fries and icecream. After that we went to the Duomo, we all expected to stand in line for a very long time but to our surprise we where inside very quikly. What can I say about the Duomo; from the outside it's beautiful biu from the inside it's really, really boring. It was a very big church but it was surprisingly empty. They've probably spent all the money in the marble walls instead of the structure on the inside. Then we had a little something to eat (again) and then we took the trane back to Passignano.

In the time between we went to Rome and Florence we had so much fun. But all these little stories are of little significance to what I want to tell in my blog; my visit to the big cities.

A couple of days later we went to Rome. We took the 9 o'clock train and the journey took us about 2 hours. When we arrived in Rome it was well past '11 and there was a slight warm breeze. our first destination was the tourbus station, because the evening before we had decided to take the tourbus and not spent half of the day in Rome just walking to the next location. But in the station something cathed my eyes; it was a book store with all different kind of books in different languages. I just had to take a look and before I knew it I had spent 40 of the 50 euro's of my vacation money. Then we went to the bus. After we had survived the terror of the Indian street-salesman-horde we went with the bus to the Colosseum (We also drove past a couple of significant buildings I can't recall.) and got out. When you go to Rome you have to see the Colloseum it's an unwritten rule. So we stood in line until finally we could explore the great Amphitheatre. It was a magnificent place really, despite the theft off all the white marble trough the ages the Colosseum still had it's impressive aura. It was even bigger than I imagined and it was a really great experience walking around in the building where the romans once held all these g;adiator battles. After we had seen the Colloseum we walked a bit through the Forum Romanum. It was really hot because the Forum is sited in a vale, and with the sun beating down it was very, very hot. We didn't stay very long because of my little brothers exaggerated whining. So we took a tourbus and headed to Vatican city. When we arrived I could already see the St.Peter cathedral. We stepped out of the bus and continued our journey to the Vatican. We walked over the Ponto St'Angelo towards Castello St'Angelo. Of course I had already been there in Assasins Creed Brotherhood but The Castello was bigger than I had imagined. We walked past the Castello toward the street that led to Vatican Square. It was a really big tiled shopping street in cream-white colours so I was already pretty impressed by the street. But all those thoughts vanished when I looked at the St Peter. It was huge, huger than I had ever expected. The people in line in front of the Cathedral almost looked like ants from my point of view. The St Peter is connected with two quarter rings (a quarter of a ring) with statues on top. So the St Peter and it's aadditional buildings formed half a cirlcle around the square. In the middle of the square stand an obelisc, I can still remember some of the scriptures; 'Christus Vincit- Christus Domonit' I think it was, which means; 'Christ is victorious- Christ rules'. The site of the square was just glorious. I wish we had more time but we didn't, so, we didn't have time to go inside the St Peter. But when I go back to Rome I will make sure I get inside, and aslo in the Vatican Museum; the largest museum in the world. So we went back to the station and had a pleasant ride back.

But all things come to an and, and two weeks later we packed our stuff and headed to the airport. It was fun at the airport but unfortunately there was a great lack of food, and if there was food then it was only Italian. And after two weeks of only italian food (you can litteraly buy no food from other countries there) I think people can understand that I was pretty fed up with all the pasta. So I walked around the airport complaining about the incompetence of the Italian food import for half an hour. So at last we went through the last security post and to the incheck gate. There were young women there handing out comeercial folders for Vodafone. And I am mentioning this because one of those ladies was extremely attractive. And to put it nicely; It is bad she must go, but it's nice to watch her leave. I think I have made my point clear there. Then, when everybody was checked in, we walked to the airplane and chose our seats. The flight back was really pleasant for I got the windowseat because of my diplomatic superiority. And because my brother got the windowseat on the flight to Italy. I didn't look outside very much because I was reading the third and last book of the Warlord series wirtten by Bernarld Cornwell. I really love his work and therefore I had read the first two books in four days. So I was kind off absent during the flight home. When we finally arrived at Schiphol I was relieved, relieved to be in my own country again; there's no place like home. So we went by mu aunts house to catch up and get our car (we had parked the car there and had taken the train to the airport). I was hoping for a good night's sleep but my older cousin persuaded me to watch a part of a horrormovie with me. No sleep for me after that allright. When we got home I jumped on the couch and just lay there for quite a long time before I got something to eat and went to bed, still haunted by the images of the horrormovie.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten